According to data of the International Olive Council (IOC), the olive oil:
- Helps prevent diseases of the heart, helping to increase the good (HDL) and lowering of bad cholesterol (LDL), thanks to the great content in antioxidants
- Acts and provides protection against certain forms of cancer (breast, colon, prostate, etc.)
- Helps reduce both the high and low arterial blood pressure
- Helps treat and slow the disease of diabetes
- As a key component in fat of a high-fat diet, leads to longer lasting weight loss, than a diet with low fat
- Strengthens the immune system against external attacks by micro-organisms, bacteria and viruses
- Protects the skin and helps prevent diseases, such as acne, psoriasis and eczema
- Helps reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis
- Helps in proper functioning of the entire digestive system
- Plays a key role in fetal development during pregnancy and its lack can have a negative effect on the development of the newborn.
- Helps preserve vitamin E in breast milk during lactation
It has been found that the growth of children of mothers who consumed olive oil during pregnancy is better in terms of height, weight, behavior and psychomotor reaction.